Ferries to Heraklio depart twice a day from Piraeus port in Athens all year round. A ferry ticket to Heraklio costs 30 (standard seat) to 160 euros (bed cabin). The duration of the ferry trip from Athens to Heraklio is 8-9 hours.
Ferry schedules to Heraklio port
There are 2 ferries to Heraklio, usually at night. However, in the peak season, there are also morning ferries to Heraklio.
Athens to Heraklio ferry
Ferries from Athens to Heraklio depart from Piraeus port in Athens. There are usually 2 ferries to Heraklio every night at 21.00. In the peak season, though, there are also morning ferries. The duration of the ferry trip from Athens to Heraklio is 8-9 hours and the cost of the ferry ticket is 30 euros for a regular seat and 160 euros for a bed cabin.
Santorini to Heraklio ferry
Ferries from Santorini to Heraklio (commercial and high-speed) operate seasonally from April to October every year. The ferry trip from Santorini to Heraklio lasts for 2 (speed ferry to Heraklio) to 6 hours (conventional ferry to Heraklio). The cost of the ferry ticket is 30-50 euros, depending on the type of the ferry.
The types of ferries that travel from/to Heraklio
Because of the long duration of the trip, the only type of ferry that sails to Heraklio is a conventional ferry. Conventional ferries might be slower than high-speed, but they are equipped with modern facilities like restaurants, bars, shops, and pools. The ferry companies that sail to Heraklio are Minoan Lines, Anek Lines, and Aegeon Pelagos.
How do I book my ferry tickets to Heraklio?
Booking your ferry tickets is one of the first and most important steps in organizing your holidays in Heraklio.
We make this step the easiest and most exciting one, as booking your ferry tickets with ferriesingreece.com comes with lots of perks!
The perks of booking your ferry tickets to Heraklio with ferriesingreece.com:
- Our awarded online experience (Tourism Awards 2018) takes the ferry booking process to another level.
- You can compare all the available ferry ticket prices with just one click.
- We make ferry booking easier than ever with a simple booking process and 100% secure payments.
- Not everyone gives you all the essential information about your trip while booking your ferry tickets!
- Our interactive live maps show you every detail of your ferry ride.
- We let you in on Heraklio's secrets and guide you through your best holidays ever!
So, forget the often time consuming and complex ferry booking process and book your ferry tickets with up to -30% discount!
Don’t lose any time! Your dream holiday to Heraklio is just a click away. Book now and let the adventure begin!
- Since the ferry trip to Heraklio is quite long and the ferries depart at night, we recommend booking a bed cabin for a more comfortable trip.
- The best way to plan your trip to Heraklio is to book your ferry tickets in advance, as Greek ferries may be fully booked, especially in July and August.
- Some ferry companies offer the option of a pet-in-cabin so that you can enjoy the trip with your pet.
Why visit Crete (Heraklio)?
Hop on a ferry from Athens to Crete (Heraklio) for breathtaking natural landscapes, amazing beaches, worldwide famous local cuisine, and warm hospitality!
- In Heraklio, you'll find Matala, a popular place for hippies in the 60s and 70s.
- The Venetian Fortress in Heraklio is the best preserved fortification structure in the Mediterraenean.
- The Venetian harbor in Heraklio town is one of the best spots for strolls and sunset gazing.
- In the past, Heraklio was known as "Kastro", "Handax", "Candida" and "Kandiye". It officially took its current name in 1922.
- One of the biggest aquariums in Europe, CRETAquarium, is located in Heraklio.
The best season to visit Crete
Crete is beautiful all year round! Given that it is a large island, Crete has a great diversity of landscapes. From beautiful beaches to dramatic gorges and from verdant valleys to imposing mountains, there’s always something new to explore.
Is Crete (Heraklio) for you?
Heraklio, one of the biggest towns in Crete, combines city vibes with natural beauty and archaeological sites in a unique way. It’s the perfect destination for nature lovers and history buffs!
Sightseeing in Heraklio
Heraklio is the perfect place for sightseeing, thanks to its proximity to the most important archaeological sites in Crete. Just a short drive away from Heraklio you'll find Knossos Palace and Phaistos Palace, two of the most important Minoan palaces in Crete.
Island-hopping from Crete
Photos of Heraklio
About Heraklio Port
Connected ports to Heraklio
Athens, Piraeus - Athens, Rafina - Andros - Chalki - Anafi - Crete, Chania - Crete, Rethymno - Crete, Sitia - Ios - Karpathos, Diafani - Karpathos, Port - Kasos - Milos - Mykonos - Naxos - Paros - Rhodes - Santorini (Thira) - Skiathos - Syros - Tinos
The port of Heraklion is the busiest port of Crete, as it receives ferries from Piraeus, islands of Dodecanese and Cyclades. It is found in a walking distance from the centre of Heraklion Town and its trademark is the old Venetian fortress at the western side of the port.
There are green buses that connect Heraklion Town with the most important tourist places and large villages in the prefectures of Heraklion and Lassithi. There are also blue buses that depart from the port of Heraklion and go around the town and to the archaeological site of Knossos, about 5 km from the city centre.